By Darin Carter, Coinbase Giving Program Supervisor
This fall, Coinbase Giving launched the Blockchain Breakthroughs Innovation Challenge as a step to lift consciousness about blockchain know-how and make it extra inclusive and accessible for everybody. The aim of this problem was to supply progressive concepts for the way to leverage the distinctive attributes of blockchain know-how to unravel a few of our world’s most outstanding issues. We noticed participation from over 300 groups and heard some unimaginable concepts.
The aim of this problem was to not ask these rivals to provide you with a totally baked resolution, however to incentivize the builders on the intersection of Web3 and social influence to check out many options, share outcomes/progress, and construct a greater world collectively as a neighborhood, with their findings.
The way it labored
- In October 2021, Coinbase Giving and its associate Base 11 launched the Innovation problem, in partnership with crowdsourcing web site HeroX.com, on the Next Frontier Conference to focus on how blockchain know-how can drive social influence.
- The Problem was made accessible to college students and early-career adults from throughout the nation on Base 11’s free membership platform Base 11 Digital.
- In early January of 2022, our material consultants judged the primary spherical of entries internally in accordance with our innovation problem scoring framework.
- Twelve finalists have been invited to pitch their thought to our management workforce for consideration.
- After a ultimate spherical of judging, Coinbase Giving and Base11 awarded $10,000 USD in prizes to winners which might be acquired in USD, BTC, or ETH.
Profitable tasks proposed how blockchain know-how could be leveraged throughout the subjects of renewable power micro-grids, the debt disaster, international useful resource assist, smart-contract life insurance coverage, voting fraud, and rather more. The complete checklist of winners, with extra particulars on the tasks and communities they serve, could be discovered here.
What we discovered
- Innovation can come from anyplace: Our members represented nations everywhere in the world together with New Zealand, Germany, the Philippines, Argentina, Colombia, and plenty of extra nations across the globe. We’re proud to say that the very best concepts got here from outdoors of the crypto trade. Our members have been lecturers, medical doctors, dentists, psychologists, provide chain employees, neighborhood leaders, and extra trying to share their wonderful concepts for the way blockchain could make a distinction.
- Asking the proper query could be highly effective: By asking individuals from numerous backgrounds how blockchain could make an influence, particularly in areas like environmental sustainability, monetary inclusion, healthcare and training, the people who find themselves closest to the issues value fixing are in a position to floor concepts on how blockchain could be utilized as an answer.
- Blockchain actually has the potential to vary the world: As you’ll be able to see from our profitable entries talked about above, there are numerous ways in which blockchain can have a constructive influence on the earth.
The Coinbase Giving and Base 11 groups wish to thank the entire members on this yr’s Blockchain Breakthroughs Innovation Problem for his or her concepts, arduous work, and time. We’re trying ahead to the subsequent Innovation Problem and encourage everybody to start out brainstorming concepts to pitch to the workforce.